Suggest having BluePill pins defined for all Arduino pins

Please post bugs and enhancements for the STM core here
dackley

Suggest having BluePill pins defined for all Arduino pins

Post by dackley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello
It would be nice if in some future STM Core release, all of the standard Arduino pins had a corresponding Pill STM32F103C8 pin.
Note, there is a Nucleo pin assigned/defined for each and every standard Arduino pin (see the attached spreadsheet). But for the Blue Pill STM32F103C8 three of the standard Arduino pins (D9, A4, and A5) do not have a corresponding Blue Pill pin assigned/defined for them.
Thanks
Dave
Attachments
Arduino vs BluePill vs Nucleo Pin Map.xlsx
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Rick Kimball

Re: Suggest having BluePill pins defined for all Arduino pins

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

What's the point? The blue pill board doesn't have a layout like an arduino, you will need an adapter plate to actually use any arduino shield.

All this suggestion does is make sure code I write for the Roger's core will be guaranteed not to work on the STM core. :|
It sound like you need to get a Nucleo F103RB board. I think that has the pins the way you want.
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Not going to happen...

Blue Pill has Pxx pin labels on its silk screen, not Arduino pin numbers.

Also... There are hundreds of different STM32 boards, all with different arrangements of pins, hardly end of them have a make or part number on them to differentiate what they are.
Boards also constantly evolve, and the pin positions on the footprint is not guaranteed to remain the same.

Its impractical / impossible to have a board selection for each and every one of these, hence why I you have to select MCU on the board and look at the silk screen on the board to see where the physical pin for each GPIO is located.

As Rick has already pointed out..
The few exceptions to this are the Nucleo boards produced by STM themselves.

STM now has their own core for those boards. So if you want Arduino compatible pin numbering etc, you should get a Nucleo board

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:14 pm

dackley wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm
<...>
Note, there is a Nucleo pin assigned/defined for each and every standard Arduino pin (see the attached spreadsheet).<...>
... nice spreadsheet, however. I have a tendency to use about anything that I can buy cheap, so I have a container of Blue Pills along with about 3x as many faux Maple Mini's. My workbench is metal framed, so small pin-outs and matrix maps get cut and stuck to the frame with small neodymium magnets. I do keep notebooks and folders, but when I'm prototyping, it's nice just to refer to a piece of printed material. Thanks

Ray

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I have my desktop background set to the GIF from the wiki:

http://wiki.stm32duino.com/images/a/ae/ ... pinout.gif

It incorporates everything you want to know about the pins. Pin name, 5V tolerant, not 5v tolerant, PWM capable, max sink and source, all the available alternative functions all on one chart.
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:54 pm

One slightly confusing thing on that diagram is that the Alt pin for SPI1 are show without any indication that they are only used if you call the appropriate AFRemap function.