Andy's Postbag and random ebay links

Tell us about the cool things you've recently got
ag123

Re: Andy's Postbag and random ebay links

Post by ag123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:03 am

cool hopefully u'd get a (flat) heated bed back soon, my guess is u'd be 'collecting' parts over the internet to piece up your 3d printer? :D
as for the toy helicopter, it certainly is *dangerous* but fun :lol:

ahull

Post by ahull » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 am

ag123 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:03 am
cool hopefully u'd get a (flat) heated bed back soon, my guess is u'd be 'collecting' parts over the internet to piece up your 3d printer? :D
Correct. I've got a salvaged server PSU lined up to drive the heated bed with a $2 "ebay special" MOSFET board, but I may opt for something simpler.
as for the toy helicopter, it certainly is *dangerous* but fun :lol:
I wonder if it could be made to do something useful, like lift a tiny camera.
- Andy Hull -

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm

i had wanted to 'make from scratch' a 3d printer, but soon after i started researching ebay, i realised that some of the parts don't come cheap if every parts of a printer is bought on ebay. then i'm thinking perhaps i'd be too lazy to build the frame, pulleys, assemblies, joints etc to those exact dimensions which is pretty important for a 3d printer to work well, in the end i end up searching for a kit that's sensibly affordable on ebay and got that instead, but till date i've yet to assemble it all :lol:
btw some of the china 3d printer kits tend to be cheaper on aliexpress, some has their 'home'/official e-shops on aliexpress literally (i bought mine some 30-50 usd more on ebay) do check between both ebay and aliexpress if you are attempting the same :)
i've got my kit which is a flsun 3d printer some of the names that has gone around in the 3d printing forums are like anycubic, flsun etc, but i think the better ones are many just that i'm certainly *not* familiar with what is really out there.
for those kits before i got it i actually googled around the webs and read up on some of the webs like such
https://all3dp.com/1/best-cheap-diy-3d-printer-kit/
check on prices in ebay/aliexpress, and very important examine the kit photos presented on the ebay/aliexpress ad / home sites etc look for quality of the kit, check actual user reviews & their actual prints etc, find the facebook forums and find out where are all the support webs e.g. some of the better ones hosts their assembly/build videos on youtube etc, where to get the roms etc and if it is after all a standard arduino etc.
if it is built around 'standard arduino' (basically arduino mega), it'd be somewhat easier to swap the controller and the 'motor drivers' with things like ramps 1.4 of which there are apparently quite a number of sellers selling those 'RAMPS' boards
http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ramps+1.4&_sacat=0
my guess with RAMPS it'd be considerably easier to swap that controller with STM32 boards

ahull

Post by ahull » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I realised that purchasing the likes of the Tronxy X1 kit appears to work out cheaper than trying to source all of the parts. In theory you can build a larger print volume printer, by purchasing a Tronxy X1 kit, a couple of meters of belt, and some 2020 aluminium (and perhaps one more stepper motor, a few t-nuts and other odds 'n sods).

I intend to build my Tronky X1 fron the kit over the next week or so, if I get a few spare moments.

I wont have a heated bed for it just yet, but I should be able to do some initial testing. I'll keep you all posted.

As to add ons, I think the first one is going to be an ESP8266 wifi interface. There are a couple of examples of people adding wifi to their melzi boards, so a little brain surgery will be on the agenda.
- Andy Hull -

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

You may have noticed that I have a bit of a multimeter fetish :oops: However my latest purchase was a... "I wonder what I can do with those"... moment.

Five panel meters for £1.47

Spec.
TYPE : Analog Voltage Meter
Scale Range : 0~20V
Accuracy : Class 5.0
Size : about 40mm x 40mm

Bear in mind that inside these there will be a moving coil meter and a resistor, so you are not limited to 0-20V if you remove or replace the resistor, but some experimentation will be needed to discover exactly how sensitive the movement is.

I'm open to suggestions for the most interesting project to use a 4cm square panel meter. Extra bonus points if it involves more than one meter, and super extra bonus points if you can squeeze an STM32F103XXX in to the mix. :D
- Andy Hull -

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 pm

A clock.
2 for minutes, one for hours, one for days, one for months and.... one for year

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Now that's a pretty good idea, I'm not sure if you win the internet just yet, 'cos I haven't seen any of the other entries, but that is a strong contender.
STM32 for the RTC, analogWrite() for the er.. analog bits... throw in a few gratuitous blinky LEDS.. maybe a custom 3d printed pig themed case... I like it.
I was thinking moving coil laser scanner... but that's been done before. Also perhaps a moving coil balance.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 am

You'd need to change the paper to show 0 to 60 for minutes and for seconds etc etc

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

ahull wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm
I'm open to suggestions for the most interesting project to use a 4cm square panel meter. Extra bonus points if it involves more than one meter, and super extra bonus points if you can squeeze an STM32F103XXX in to the mix. :D
SWR & Power meter - although the bezels might need some amendment :D

I'm looking into how to replace the very poorly made analogue SWR meter in my car with an MCU driven one for my CB.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

I seem to recall building a couple of SWR meters out of surplus movements back in the days when CB was really popular round here. The schematic was pretty simple so far as I remember. Eventually they became so cheap that it wasn't worth building your own. On one occasion I managed to get a decent SWR on a carefully tuned sewing needle, just to prove a point. Needless to say the needle got a little hot, and didn't transmit that well, but neither did it blow up the output stage of the radio.

The more sophisticated versions contained op-amps and possibly a 555 timer?! but I can't think why... I'll need to do some googling.
- Andy Hull -