Andy's Postbag and random ebay links

Tell us about the cool things you've recently got
RogerClark

Re: Andy's Postbag and random ebay links

Postby RogerClark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

Andy

I got stung with SD cards and memory sticks from eBay as well, so I now only buy them from reputable shops I can drive back to and get my money back from if they are no good.

I actually bought some 128Mb memory sticks last year, on purpose as I wanted something throwaway and cheap, and luckily they were 128Mb (as I tested them)

Same with batteries. I don't buy them from eBay any more.
I have posted this story before, but I bought some rechargeable 9V (PP3 style batteries) from eBay, but found the capacity was nothing like the 200mAH they were supposed to be, and they were far to light. So I cut one open and found it full of 60mAH rechargeable button cells, each of which worth more than I paid for the battery has a whole.

ahull

Postby ahull » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:27 pm

I was looking for a cheap Android phone to use as a controller for various gadgets around the house. Ebay revealed any number of dead mobiles that might be suitable, in the end I took a punt on a bunch of old Samsung Ace GT-S5830 and GT-S5830i handsets.

I figured that since they can be hacked, rooted and even with a little gentle persuasion, made to run Android 5.0 they would at least keep me amused for a few hours.

The pile of scrap in the picture has so far yielded:-

2xGT-S5830i working - rooted, and updated to Android 5. - Good battery.
1xGT-S5830 working - rooted, and updated to Android 4.X.X (may try upgrading to 6.0) later. - Good battery
1xGT-S5830i semi-working, with a flash partition issue. This was causing a boot loop and is probably a software rather than hardware issue.
- Good battery.
rooted, updated to Android 5.1 - kernel 2.6.32-9 - Semi working, but due to flash issue, always boots in Spanish.
Updated Kernel to ->

Code: Select all

Linux localhost 2.6.35.7 #7 PREEMPT Thu Aug 22 16:50:30 CEST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
#

EDIT: Re-flashed with Gingerbread, by *carefully* following the instructions here -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy ... d-t3423944
Now works perfectly - Time to order another digitiser.

1xGT-S5830 with smashed front glass/digitiser (easily replaceable. Replacement (new) on order via the slow boat for £2.99 shipped) - No battery.
1xGT-S5830i with smashed front glass/digitizer (on order) and damaged SIM socket which is possibly fixable with hot glue. If the SIM socket is beyond repair, I may try to rework it, or just use the handset on WiFi. No Battery.

In summary, all six handsets work, and arrived with stock Android Gingerbread installed. All work on WiFi and the first two are confirmed working on the phone network.

Interestingly the seller advert read 3xfauly handsets, the picture in the advert showed 5 and the parcel arrived with six, all no doubt heading for landfill if I hadn't bid. Total outlay so far around £20 plus a bit of my time.

They are a little slow, and you have to run your apps from the SD card due to their limited internal memory, but for about a fiver each, who's complaining. You would struggle to get the display for that money.
Last edited by ahull on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andy Hull -

BennehBoy

Postby BennehBoy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Nice haul
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Andy

If you can get Android 6 ( Marshmallow) , or newer, onto any of those phones you can use the new Web Bluetooth API, which means you can access bluetooth devices via javascript on a normal web page.

Alternatively, you could try plugging a USB OTG cable into the normal USB soecket and see if they support USB OTG. I found that some cheap tablets I bought a few years ago supported OTG even though it was not in the spec.

If so, you can probably get the serial device in the Core to interface to the phone, but you may need to change the VID/PID

Personally, I am currently using Bluetooth to communicate between hardware and phones and tablets, ( all android based), by writing Apps using Cordova. I find Cordova very easy to use, and setting it up, even on Windows, was painless.
And like the new Web BLE API, you just code the App in HTML / Javascript

ahull

Postby ahull » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 pm

RogerClark wrote:Andy

If you can get Android 6 ( Marshmallow) , or newer, onto any of those phones you can use the new Web Bluetooth API, which means you can access bluetooth devices via javascript on a normal web page.

This *may* be possible.... I'm looking in to it.
Alternatively, you could try plugging a USB OTG cable into the normal USB soecket and see if they support USB OTG. I found that some cheap tablets I bought a few years ago supported OTG even though it was not in the spec.

This might also be possible. Looks like the jury is out on this -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... 966&page=2
Personally, I am currently using Bluetooth to communicate between hardware and phones and tablets, ( all android based), by writing Apps using Cordova. I find Cordova very easy to use, and setting it up, even on Windows, was painless.
And like the new Web BLE API, you just code the App in HTML / Javascript

I was initially looking at talking via WiFi to ESP8266 based gadgets, but bluetooth is also an option.

However, so far I've mainly been messing around finding out how Android hands together and what custom ROMS are available for them.I'm thinking of them as WiFi, GPS, camera, bluetooth, SD-Card Linux (android) touch screen, rather than a phone.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 pm

I presumed you weren't going to use them as phones ;-)

I'm not sure about custom ROM's, there often seem to be hardware driver problems if you stray away from the manufacturer's binaries.

I did reflash my phone with a clean (non branded) copy of Android, but it didnt make a big difference.

I think the main thing is to root it, and also to get the XPosed framework installed, because if you get XPosed installed, its just as good as a custom rom, as it allows you to selectively override virtually API call.

http://www.addictivetips.com/android/wh ... -it-guide/

I've not actually programmed any XPosed plugin's, but I do have a load of them installed; most notably Xprivacy, which lets you selectly block android apps accessing various parts of the system including the location, phone, contacts, sensors, camera, microphone, network etc etc etc

I would not go back to a phone or tablet where I could not install XPosed.

BennehBoy

Postby BennehBoy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 pm

I've plonked lineage OS onto a number of older handsets lately, it's the rebirth of cyanogenmod.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Whats happening with cyanogenmod at the moment.

I thought its future was in doubt

BennehBoy

Postby BennehBoy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 am

It's reformed as Lineage OS

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:14 am

BennehBoy wrote:It's reformed as Lineage OS

Thanks. Its good to know it is continuing