Re: BennehBoy's Postbag

Post by BennehBoy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah I thought the same :D Maybe I'll fork it :D
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:20 pm

These didn't come in the post, but thought it was worth sharing...

Storage systems from Aldi, £8.99 each... They're really not bad for the money, I'll probably buy some more for the shed:

Power resistors arrived for my ATX PSU to Bench PSU conversion...

Fished my trusty old Weller TCP-Z iron out of the cupboard to see if I could figure out why it won't heat.

Quick check of the 3.3uF 25V tantalum cap seems to show that it's failed, so for a few pence I've taken a punt on buying those in. A new stat/heater would be ~40 quid.

I loved this iron when I got it in 1990! It was bloody expensive then too!

Last edited by BennehBoy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 am

not all of your pictures are loading...
can't you just attach them to your post? then they're uploaded to this forum, and you don't have to try hotlinking from other domains :)

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am

Google is a pain... the reason I don't attach them is I often share the same post on a couple of forums, that way i can just copy and paste the bbcode. I'll update the links when I get thome, there seems to be a 'settling in' time for images on google, I guess they may offload them to more permanent storage sometime after initial upload (perhaps they have an expectation that people may edit the images soon after upload so keep them somewhere it's more simple for that to occur), anyhow, the uri changes occasionally leading to this scenario. That said, it's incredibly simple to take a photo on my phone and have it auto upload to google images....

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Hopefully the recent images now show....

36 pin AMP econoseal connector for the ECU showed up in the post today...

Fingers crossed that this one shows...

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Are you buildimg your own ECU interface ?

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes, the multigauge project is designed to talk to the ECU using ISO14230-1 which operates over K-line.

So far I've been using an emulated ECU via UART on an arduino.

That emulator only covers a subset of the PIDs (OBD commands) that a real ECU can process, so I need to do some sniffing and live testing - in order to do this I've sourced a broken ECU that I've (fingers crossed) repaired - the idea is that I'll power it using the ATX bench supply that I'm building plus some circuitry to simulate the ignition power on sequence that the ECU expects (switched grounds etc).

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:31 am

Cool.

I've no idea about the electrical or the protocol of connecting to those the ECU. I really should buy one of those dongles, but I never seem to get around to it.

I have a 12 year old Subaru, but I've no idea what would be compatible (but I'm sure somewhere on the web lists that sort of informaton)

Probably a Bluetooth version would work best for me, as long as someone had already hacked the Bluetooth protocol

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 am

Post up your exact vehicle model/year.

There are a plethora of OBD standards - consisting of differences in physical layer (eg can, kline (onewire @12V), proprietary), a whole host of transport layers (timings, handshaking, security etc) and then umpteen different protocols layered over the top. Most newer vehicles conform to an ISO standard, but may have some proprietary stuff thrown in.

Mine complies to an early draft of ISO14230-1 (the 1999 version), the standard covers physical layer and transport (timings, frame structure etc) - but all the protocols atop that are completely proprietary. Newer revisions define progressively more standard items at the protocol layer.

I guess you could loosely relate it all to the OSI 7 Layer model used in computing communications.

In 'OBD Speak' any command that you run to either change something, or query a value is called a PID.

Those dongles, at their best cover a swathe of the physical, transport & protocol layers and abstract it all to a set of modem like AT commands. At their worst (and most often) they cover only the latest subsets, chiefly CAN. The Dongle basically provides a standard way to access PIDs and does the hard work of translating it to the specific vehicle standard it detects.

I'd be surprised if you 2005 vehicle will work with most Chinese dongles, but they may work with a 'genuine' ELM327 variant.

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Well, the tantalum caps arrived today.

I replaced the one in the Weller iron but still no heat. I guess that means the switch unit is dead - they're ~40 quid to replace so will wait to see if something comes up on ebay.

I was going to have a run out to the local Maplin to pick up some bits and bobs to finish off the PSU for the ECU bench rig I'm building... Ironically I blew the head gasket on the car, something the gauge system was aimed to help me avoid.

The engine is rated at 130BHP stock, mine's running somewhere ~ 260, so it's no surprise that the factory head bolts couldn't contain the pressure.

I'm talking to an engineering firm that make stud systems for Formula 1 engines about having some made from heat treated stainless 17-4ph in H900 condition. Those should be pretty difficult for the engine to stretch!