Racemaniac's postbag

Tell us about the cool things you've recently got
racemaniac

Re: Racemaniac's postbag

Post by racemaniac » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:44 am

RogerClark wrote:What is the process for using that stencil cutter ?
You take the gerber of the solder paste layer, put it trough a script someone wrote to create a file for the cutter, put a decent material under it to make a stencil from (i see a lot of people using overhead slides), and let the machine cut away :).
it's not the original purpose of the machine, but pretty nice that it does a good job at that :).
and it's indeed just for solder stencils, not for the tracks & traces of pcb's :). Seeing as even with the osh stencil service i'll be out 10$ per stencil, it seems like a useful device :). (and it's also just a cool toy to own :p ).

zmemw16 wrote:i wonder if it's being used to make a stencil for depositing solder paste :?:
that's indeed the goal :).

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

Ah.

Solder paste stencil. That makes sense.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

i can assume then that you're scrounging every aluminium can you can find :D
suggest you avoid the 9% sort, particularly if you need a six pack. :D

stephen

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm

my raspberry pi zeros with wifi just arrived :)

also:
-heatsinks for my ssr's
-some micro sd card slots
-some more cable glands :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:31 pm

My Zero W arrived yesterday.

Just need to find my USB SD card adaptor so I can put the OS onto a micro SD card.

I read a few posts about how to set it up for operation without a monitor (headless), so I hope to give that a try.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:24 am

after some tinkering to get it to work on windows 10, i managed to cut my first solder paste stencils :).
it's working really well, even the 0.5mm pitch pads for the stm32 are cut perfectly, i'm going to like this machine XD.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:24 pm

what material did you use ?

overhead projector plastic, re-cycled aluminium cans etc

my earlier reference to cans was how to make a mask by unrolling the can, removing the inside plastic layer and etching the aluminium away.

stephen

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 pm

zmemw16 wrote:what material did you use ?

overhead projector plastic, re-cycled aluminium cans etc

my earlier reference to cans was how to make a mask by unrolling the can, removing the inside plastic layer and etching the aluminium away.

stephen
overhead projector plastic :).
seems good enough as material for now :)

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:52 pm

A while ago all pieces arrived for making my own solder camera (it was once mentioned here on the forum, with a nice description on how to make one), here is the result:
solder cam.jpg
solder cam.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 419 times
And the view it gives me on my soldering:
solder cam result.jpg
solder cam result.jpg (181.54 KiB) Viewed 419 times
quite pleased with the result :).
it's a closeup of me working on my lightsaber pcb's (they also finally arrived this week). Those are pins with a 0.5mm pitch, and in the foreground a 0603 smd resistor :). My first attempt at assembling the pcb failed (still have a short somewhere), but it's the first time assembling a pcb with all the tiny smd thingies, learned a lot in how to handle it all :p. gonna try a second pcb today with all i have learned, and checking often if i haven't made a short so i immediately know where the short is :).

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

My second production run of my self designed pcb's for my lightsaber just arrived ^^'

I had it made with dirtypcb's, it's a 10x10cm panelized design. contains 3 different boards (a fixed version of my original one, a smaller version of the original one with usb added, and a third board equal in size to the original, but with an amplifier & some mosfets to switch on/off the ledstring).

I don't expect this to be the final version of my board yet, so no clue what i'm going to do with all those boards XD. but for 25€ in total, this is sooo awesome XD.
Attachments
panelized pcbs.jpg
panelized pcbs.jpg (200.47 KiB) Viewed 324 times