Racemaniac's postbag

Tell us about the cool things you've recently got
racemaniac

Racemaniac's postbag

Postby racemaniac » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:51 am

As i'm often receiving things, i'll also make a bucket thread to post in :)
Today these arrived: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Pra ... 81373.html

I was looking for some boxes to store things like capacitors, leds, etc... in at a good price, these seem perfect :). Cheap, lots of small compartments (with even removable dividers if you want to make a few bigger compartments :).

Going to immediately fill them up with components that were desperately waiting for a better storage place XD

ahull

Re: Racemaniac's postbag

Postby ahull » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:58 am

You can never have too many storage boxes. ... well according to my wife, that may not be the case... :lol:
- Andy Hull -

racemaniac

Postby racemaniac » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:12 pm

ahull wrote:You can never have too many storage boxes. ... well according to my wife, that may not be the case... :lol:

I think her issue is more with all the stuff you keep getting to fill them with, than with the storage boxes themselves :p.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Talking about resistors and capacitors to go in the box.

I ordered one of those mixed sets of resistors. I think it was 20 of every possible resistor value.
What I received was surprising, as they had written the values by hand on all 100 or so strips of 20 resistors.

I also bought mixed bags of electrolytic caps, (i think they are 10uF to 2200uF) that have come in very handy

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm

a while ago i bought the pth resistor sets, mine were stamped,and i just bought 3 volumes of samplers, 0603, 0805 & 1206, also stamped.
bit pricer - very handy, 2 of them have a capacitor range in as well.
stephen

racemaniac

Postby racemaniac » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:56 am

yup, same here :). i also have such SMD resistor/capacitor sets. Not much i'm going to improve on those storage wise ^^. they can stay labeled in their bag as is :)

For my pth ceramic capacitors however, they did nicely come in labeled bags, but it was just a mess to keep them in there. now they're all in one of those boxes, with a label i printed to go in the box that indicates which value is where, and it's a lot better like that :).
My pth resistors are also came in labeled bags, but as they're in those nice strips you have to tear them out, it really works :). I made some cardboard boxes that are the perfect size for the bags with the resistors in them, and added labels every power of 10 so i can easily navigate the box with resistors ^^.

I must thus also confess that i never bothered to learn the resistor color code yet since i can just take a labeled bag and have the correct one at hand XD.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 am

racemaniac wrote:I must thus also confess that i never bothered to learn the resistor color code yet since i can just take a labeled bag and have the correct one at hand XD.

I was fine with the old 3 band colour coding, but I find the 4 band ones problematic.

The 4 band ones I get from the local electronics shop (Jaycar.com.au), is that they are virtually symmetrical

I just looked and one, and its either

Brown, Brown, Black, Black, Red

Or

Red, Black, Black, Brown Brown

In this case I measured it, and the value was 2k. So it must be the latter of the two sequences.

Picture 23.jpg
Picture 23.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Edit.

Its not absolutely symmetrical, but they don't make your life easy.

BennehBoy

Postby BennehBoy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:03 pm

I think I bought a very similar resistor pack Roger, all hand written values.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:02 pm

BennehBoy wrote:I think I bought a very similar resistor pack Roger, all hand written values.

Yep. Every strip had the value written on it by hand !
( For the price I paid, I didnt expect labelling)

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 am

anyone remember colored dot coded capacitors ?
some were tubes with tags at each end for pcb mounting.

istr that most of my first bits were from tv's, the graveyard of the local rental shop, back garden(?) 20ft x 30ft and about 3 or 4ft deep
in chasis's.
all rather dangerous with glass valves and the tv tubes possibly deadly, great for teaching how to step very carefully indeed.

stephen

Return to “Postbag”