Is anyone interested in helping to make an Arduino Due which uses [edited:] a 100-pin STM32L471

Working libraries, libraries being ported and related hardware
RogerClark

Re: Is anyone interested in helping to make an Arduino Due which uses a 144-pin STM32F072 (or something else more suitab

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 am

lkcl wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 am
There is also the F415RG which seems to also have crypto, but I suspect there would be very little call for this by most Makers.

I can see 405RG's on AliExpress for

US $4.25 / piece in quantities of 20, which isnt that bad....
anyway yes, great idea. will have to wait a bit though, my friend delayed his trip back to the UK because of helping out SZ clients before the holiday rush. he'll be back in... a couple of weeks, we can get some quotes then.
See http://stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 999#p34999

zoomx

Re: Is anyone interested in helping to make an Arduino Due which uses a 144-pin STM32F072 (or something else more suitab

Post by zoomx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

Can I suggest that the New Blue Pill will have a reset circuit like the Maple Mini?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 am

zoomx wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am
Can I suggest that the New Blue Pill will have a reset circuit like the Maple Mini?
I'm just entering the BP schematic into KiCad now

I'll post to a github repo later. I think we can use a single P Channel FET for the rest.

The other problem with the Blue Pill and the Maple Mini clones is the lack of separate analog grounds. We should really address this as well.

Anyway, I'll update the other thread later.

Edit. Actually I"ll look at the Maple Mini schematic and do a hybrid

lkcl

Post by lkcl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

RogerClark wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 am
I agree about parts supply, but AliExpress are probably better than eBay in terms of the escrow, and getting your money back if the item delivered is not as advertised.

Still... Buying though AliExpress is not viable for actual production, its only useful for making reasonably priced prototypes.
they know this can (or will) happen... so that's why they add a huge markup. also they have to pay someone specially who speaks (or can at least write) english....

my friend mike's english (vast electronics) is extremely good, and he's very conscientious as well.

anyway, main holiday coming up, lights are off in china, nobody's home for a week... :) i mean it! except for maybe shenzhen, shanghai and beijing all other cities become 10%-populated ghost towns as everyone ups-sticks - the entire country - and goes to visit their family somewhere else. amazing.

lkcl

Post by lkcl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm

ok so this is what i have so far, with the STM32L471VX. pinouts match great with the ATMega2560 with the exception of the 8080 MCU bus (which is normally bit-banged anyway),the Due with the exception of the timer channels on the end connector: the ATSAM3X8E simply has more timer channels than the STM32L471VX, and like the Due the CAN bus TX and RX is connected in place of ADC14 and 15.
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 157 times
what i've done there is list the L471's pin number on the left of the name, TIMER channel mnemonic so i could remember to do all of them without conflict, then the Arduino pin name on the right. there's actually only about... 4 pins not connected.

thoughts appreciated.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm

I recommend you do your design in KiCad as its free and open source, and has symbols for STM32 component as part of the installation.

Then put your design on github so people can access it and potentially help by sending updates via PRs

lkcl

Post by lkcl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm

http://hands.com/~lkcl/stl47o/

git clone http://hands.com/~lkcl/stl47o/.git/ will create some sort of html page and point at a wiki at some point....

lkcl

Post by lkcl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm
I recommend you do your design in KiCad as its free and open source, and has symbols for STM32 component as part of the installation.
i found some arbitrary tool online that converts ST's bxl library files for the STML4 range into a suitable eagle part-generating script. quite neat (and totally excessive in size for what it actually does...) surprisingly such a tool doesn't exist as software libre (not an easily found one, anyway).

anyway job done, schematic done and needing review, track layout about... 40% done: maan eagle is hard to use compared to PADS. just extremely relieved that the Mega Arduino Reference Design exists: i'm not going to touch the USB or power layout (at all), with the exception of adding that 800mA 5V to 3.3v LDO used in the Due.

what would _really_ be handy is a pointer somewhere to some arbitrary STML47x schematic, i'd like to make sure i'm getting the power provision right etc. does anyone know of one around anywhere?
Then put your design on github so people can access it and potentially help by sending updates via PRs
these are good suggestions... which anyone without the experience i have would follow immediately, as it's a good way to collaborate and cooperate.

as a software libre advocate, someone pointed out to me about 5 or so years ago that github is a non-free "Service as a Software Substitute": https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does ... ve.en.html

given that i was - still am - targetting designs for use by the software libre community (FSF supporters, and aiming for RYF Certification), there was no way that i could continue to hold a github account... so i had to close it. i maintain my own server(s), i've run and managed gitolite on many occasions, typically these days i just upload to an HTTP server, and use rsync to push the git repo there with a Makefile.

then, also, as a long-time software libre developer, my experiences with KiCAD - and they have been several over many years - have been so bad that i now absolutely flatly refuse to use it. at the beginning of the project that i started, six years ago, i made another major effort to design PCBs and schematics with it (libre project, like OpenMoko if you're familiar with it). the results were that it actually destroyed several weeks of work, corrupting the libraries so that i had to maintain the library files *by hand* (manually adding and moving pins) and it also permitted hours worth of complex tracks to be removed... with f***-all warning that they were going to be silently destroyed (just after exiting and saving), completely without my consent.

on speaking with the developers they fixed... some... of the errors, but the remainder, which were absolutely critical for useability, they refused, after many many months of discussion, including input from other people, to deal with them.

consequently despite the fact that it is software libre, and i am a software libre advocate, i have a rule which is that i will make the effort (far more than i really should), but if the tool is not just user-hostile but the development team is both user-hostile and bug-report hostile as well, and, *more than that* it actually corrupts data and wastes your time.... then i have to draw the line and say no, sorry, i am not going to use it until such time as things massively - and i mean drastically - improve.

i do appreciate the pointer though. i am not a huge fan of using proprietary tools for libre projects: not even "monetarily zero cost" ones such as eagle.
Last edited by lkcl on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 pm

lkcl wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm
http://hands.com/~lkcl/stl47o/

git clone http://hands.com/~lkcl/stl47o/.git/ will create some sort of html page and point at a wiki at some point....
Cool..

I'm currently battling with the problem of getting a decent F4 device onto the much smaller BluePill form factor..
Not easy...

ChrisMicro

Post by ChrisMicro » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:46 am

Just throwing in another thought:
I found it quite useful to have an micro-sd-card-connector directly on the board ( like on the F407black or some discovery boards ).
This could be another benefit of the F4-Due.
But I don't know how this would increase the cost or if even there is some space on the board for this.
Of course the most important of the project: maximum pin compatibility to the Due and minimum software setup problems.