Recomendations for working components - TFT, OLED, ..

Working libraries, libraries being ported and related hardware
68gt500

Recomendations for working components - TFT, OLED, ..

Post by 68gt500 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am

Hello all,

reading & searching this (great!) forum I feel, that we all spend a lot of time (too long) and effort I to get the hardware running, before even starting to code.
I don´t know how many modules i have bought (nor does my wife ;-) that turned out to be unusable in a certain constellations. :roll:

I know that is part of the challenge, but wouldn't it be nice to have a list of proved & tested HW & corresponding libraries components all in one place?

It sure would save a lot of time and frustration.

For one of my projects I have been looking for:
- a decent, about 2" TFT (or even Oled, because emphasis is on Fonts, not graphics)
- IC2 or SPI -? in Arduino-Land I have used Bodmer/TFT_ST7735 - a nice combo
- GPS integration with the STMs HW serial port (ok, I have read, that tinyGPS++ works)
- a frequency library - the input is under 1KHz, but its imperative not to loose any impulses.
- IR remote

Update: After reading several positive posts i ordered a small Nextion TFT - we´ll see....

What do you think? Suggestions?

Greetings

Mike

RogerClark

Re: Recomendations for working components - TFT, OLED, ..

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

The most used LCD screens are the ILI9341 SPI based ones, they come in 2.4 inch and other sizes.
(note there are parallel and SPI versions, but SPI is most well supported and takes far less wires)

We use a modified version of the Adafruit graphics lib, so you should be able to install additional fonts compatible with that library

Frequency Library??? Sounds like you mean frequency analysis in which case its not something I've read about anyone using on this forum.
Though you could checkout the threads on the various oscilloscopes people have built as some of them may do some frequency analysis

IR Remote. There are threads about this, but I think it depends on which protocol you need

68gt500

Post by 68gt500 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks for the infos,

my biggest problem with the Adafruit custom fonts is that they can´t be rendered with background color and padding to over-write and erase old text.

That leads to annoying flickering :? Yes, the internal font can be scaled without the above issues, but that looks horrible. :shock: Basically unusable.

Does the ILI9341 library have the same shortcomings?

Like i said, I have a Nextion on order, I will post my findings

The frequency library that I have successfully used with my Uno is FreqMeasure https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_FreqMeasure.html super easy.

The IR lib I have used is IRremote https://github.com/z3t0/Arduino-IRremote - just a few easy steps to to set up and works with many remotes, even the cheapest china ones.

Greetings

Mike

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I doubt the frequency library would work without modifications. It’s a Teensy library which also has AVR support, but would probably not work on other processors like ESP8266 or ESP32 or SRM32 without modification

The modifications may be as simple as adding more #ifdef clauses into the code, but it may be more complicated.

lacklustrlabs

Post by lacklustrlabs » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm

I use the ST7735S 1.8 TFT (128x160) with builtin SD reader together with a Maple Mini clone. I use Ucglib_Arduino as the display driver and it works perfectly for my needs. You'll need to make a small adjustment to the lib, but it's no big problem.

The lib has a lot of fonts, some of them are transparent. Text can be written in any color.
From what I can tell the library does not keep a frame buffer in RAM, so everything you write has to go over SPI directly. That's great for memory footprint, but might cause some flicker.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 pm

ST7735S and ILI9163 are apparently 100% compatible, so if you find a display that uses either chip, the drivers should work
I have an ILi9163 driver compatible with the adafruit GFX that I use all the time. It's based on Sumotoy's one, but optimized for DMA and 16 bit transfers.
https://github.com/victorpv/TFT_ILI9163C