Recomendations for working components - TFT, OLED, ..

Working libraries, libraries being ported and related hardware
BennehBoy

Re: Recomendations for working components - TFT, OLED, ..

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 pm

Without doubt, it's fortunate that almost everything they sell can be found cloned from China for a tenth of the cost.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm

actually unfortunately i think, let's face it who's going to pay $nn when it can be $nn/x and a delivery time probably less than 5wks
it's the price that ultimately determines where you shop :?:
srp

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:41 am

BennehBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 pm
Without doubt, it's fortunate that almost everything they sell can be found cloned from China for a tenth of the cost.
zmemw16 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm
actually unfortunately i think, let's face it who's going to pay $nn when it can be $nn/x and a delivery time probably less than 5wks
it's the price that ultimately determines where you shop :?:
srp
Seriously?

Yes, I buy from Adafruit... usually when I need something very quickly and the unit price + shipping does not completely scare me away. Shipping excluded, Adafruit's price is 2x to 3X Chinese prices; on some items, more. But one must put this into prospective: items have a warranty, a return period, and endless support on the forum. A great deal of effort goes into the software support development and maintenance. Adafruit is a business that fills a need and provides a necessary service and pays taxes and provides jobs.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm

production, i used to have to find 3 suppliers to quote for equipment, likely to be around for 20+ years, including spares and for them to provide support.
at some point the MOD changed their rules. :shock:

if it was for a product to be sold for profit to general public, then it's a whole different ball game; traceability

hobby
you've said yourself about having reference boards of each model and mostly outside of USA for the rest.
if i read it correctly aren't you about get 20% cost increase in Asian goods, USA First thing.

stephen

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm

zmemw16 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm
<...>
hobby
you've said yourself about having reference boards of each model and mostly outside of USA for the rest.
if i read it correctly aren't you about get 20% cost increase in Asian goods, USA First thing.

stephen
Correct. I have not seen the list of affected items for the tariffs. I have mixed emotions because so many hobbyists order from China, like myself. However, it is pretty obvious to me that selling an entire board for less than the cost of the uC in 1000 Quantity is not sustainable. When a teen, I used to order from those mail-order catalogs ... things like a CK722 or surplus military items such as radiosondes for parts! Often, it was far less expensive to just go out and buy a cheap 6 transistor radio and gut it for parts. Remember those days?

For all of the makers out there, I think you need to support you local brick-n-mortar stores but I also think you have to be a world customer, too. Everyone wants a bargain. I can get an item tomorrow from Adafruit or the same item from China in three to six weeks. I want the choice to select for myself.

However, I do not think that pricing a $5 ESP32 module at $6 is going to break my play budget. I used to laugh when I saw a Japanese brand marked "Designed in Japan, Assembled in China" but I am old enough to remember "Designed in the U.S.A. and assembled in Japan" ... as Billy Joel sings:
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire…

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 pm

To give an example Ray, an SSD1306 is $2.50 from China, whereas the Adafruit equivalent is ~ $27 here in the UK

When it comes to purchasing things and supporting local business I'd much rather do that for big ticket luxury items, than commodity parts.

Eg I'm an avid photographer, and I always buy my camera equipment from the local store who I have a long term relationship with and are impeccable for service.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:28 am

More to what I was thinking...

You are building a custom project based upon the specs of a friend. Nearly finished, you demo the project to your friend who is paying you for the parts ... but not your time.

During the demo, your friend decides s/he wants to add a 2-line alphabetic display to the project. OMG :o
You have spent several weekends doing this project for free and you selected a uC to match the project needs as you understood... there is no extra resources to implement the display... it's redesign time :(

So you ask your friend, what is it worth to you to add a display? They say, "I have $50 in this already but I don't want to spend more than $100 total."

You select this serial display for $49:

You get the display in a few days, everyone is happy. You're the big hero ;)

(You order a few 1602 LCDS from China with backlighting for $2.10 each just for your parts box.)

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am

Yes, instant (or near) comes at a price - I totally get that too and have certainly ordered branded parts (Adafruit and Arduino included) because I simply can't wait for the slow boat.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm

BennehBoy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am
Yes, instant (or near) comes at a price - I totally get that too and have certainly ordered branded parts (Adafruit and Arduino included) because I simply can't wait for the slow boat.
Exactly!
So, I try and "make" myself order from these overpriced sites because they provide a service I do not wish to lose. When I needed an ESP32 Dev board, I bought my first one from Adafruit for $15. This provided two valuable attributes: a guaranteed board and quick delivery. That was months ago, and I have ordered 4 boards from China since then. Interestingly, while the Chinese modules work perfectly for programming and software development, the board purchased from Adafruit shows a consistent 3db gain in the onboard antenna. I've tried this with 4 different clone boards and the antenna signal on the official dev board is better and the 4 clone boards are consistent with their RSSI readings.

And I sure everyone wants me to jump on my soapbox at Speaker's Corner and sing the praises of spending too much money with Adafruit or Sparkfun, but I will not, just remember that such companies do serve a legitimate function and their ability to remain open requires a higher-than AliExpress price. I steer newbies often to these guys because of the support forums and the replace-if-defective policies.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:03 pm

For those outside the USA, the shipping and additional admin costs by SparkFun and Adafruit usually often add hugely to the overall cost.

I looked on SparkFun, but could not see price for international shipping , but they charge $2 extra admin fee on all exports

Adafruit shipping charges start at $20 for me

It also put me off buying a Teensy a few years ago, as she shipping cost was more then the cost of the Teensy.

Perhaps when Squonk42 and the guys finish their F4 Blue Pill, I can swap one for a Teensy with Paul ;-)