recipe.preproc.macros pattern is missing error

fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: recipe.preproc.macros pattern is missing error

Post by fpiSTM »

On my side no issue. So I guess in your environment issue is raised. Path Length, proxy, antiviral...
OldManNoob
Answers: 2

Post by OldManNoob »

Path length issues??? What is max permissible path length? Path to which folder?
No AV probs
No proxy
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

It is just a thought.
Anyway, it seems really strange and linked to the IDE. But don't know why you have it.
Here the Arduino platform specification:
https://arduino.github.io/arduino-cli/0 ... eprocessor

As stated:

Code: Select all

If recipe.preproc.macros is not defined, it is automatically generated from recipe.cpp.o.pattern.
So, I don't know why it is not generated. Having a full log of Arduino IDE would help.
To launch from a console, simply open a cmd or powershell window and call arduino.exe from its folder.
You can also call arduino_debug.exe.

When you told Teensy is ok, this means you used Arudino IDE from Teensy ? it is not the official one ? Right ?
OldManNoob

Post by OldManNoob »

fpiSTM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:42 am this means you used Arudino IDE from Teensy ? it is not the official one ?
: No, if I understand you correctly I'm thinking you are referring to IDE1.8.xx. I mean the Teensy board compiled from within IDE2.0.1, which, unlike the 1.8.xx version does not require me to mount a teensyduino instance. I am now, since unmounting IDE2.0.1 and IDE 1.8.19 before re-loading both, unable to get past the recipe.preproc.macros pattern is missing error on EITHER platform whereras prior to re-mounting 2.0.1 it was an error confined to the 1.8.19 only, with a different symptom on 2.0.1. In the case of 2.0.1 the error was something like "Unable to query board type", but I cannot be certain of the exact wording.
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

Seems an issue linked to the arduino-cli which is used on backstage by each IDE. Maybe a conflict.
You can try to isolate them by using the Arduino 1.8.19 as standalone:
https://docs.arduino.cc/software/ide-v1 ... ortableIDE
OldManNoob

Post by OldManNoob »

Arduino IDE run from CMD console using _debug.exe:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>arduino_debug.exe
Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Starting...

recipe.preproc.macros pattern is missing
Error compiling for board Generic STM32F1 series.

Is there more of a "log" expected than this, and if so where would I locate it please.
fpiSTM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:58 am You can try to isolate them by using the Arduino 1.8.19 as standalone
Ok, I will attempt this as a solution and get back. Please be patient with me as I am not totally au fait with the processes you are referring to.
OldManNoob

Post by OldManNoob »

fpiSTM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:58 am using the Arduino 1.8.19 as standalone
seems to have worked, but damn!, it's really s l o w off a USB stick.

Now to work on re-jigging the setup here to cope with the 2 x IDE instances (1.8.19 & 2.0.1). I have fallen head-over-heels with 2.x.x and hope I do not have to forego its use for legacy versions in order to progress my project!

Thank you for getting me this far, and hopefully I'll be able to report back with good news by and by.
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

So if it works it is linked to your install. Hard to tell what is wrong. I would open an issue to Arduino about this they could probably help better.
OldManNoob

Post by OldManNoob »

All good now!

I uninstalled the libraries from both platforms. Rebooted.
Then I uninstalled both platforms. Rebooted.
Cleared my PC of ANY and ALL instances of the IDE packages and once again - rebooted.
Then I re-installed 1.8.19 and rebooted. Re-installed the libraries, updating as I went. Here I had my first clue: JAVA was reported corrupt. :geek:
So I re-installed JAVA and made sure I had it fully up to date before proceeding.
1.8.19 worked with the STM32 library, so I re-installed the 2.0.1 and YaY!

All good now it seems :D
Again, thank you for sticking with me through these last few days - much appreciated.
fpiSTM

Post by fpiSTM »

Welcome. Happy you found the issue.

Return to “PR's bugs and enhancements”