wrong configuration in Mapple bootloaders maple_revX_boot20.bin ?

Discussion about the Maple and other bootloaders
nita

wrong configuration in Mapple bootloaders maple_revX_boot20.bin ?

Postby nita » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi,

I'm new with Arduino, so I may be wrong here...

If I understood the config.h [1] format correctly, the latest bootloaders for Mapple v3 & v5 (13 Nov) have some errors on their configurations. Looks like a copy&paste error from Mapple_mini configuration... ;)

I believe this should work for Mapple v3 & v5...

Code: Select all

#define HAS_MAPLE_HARDWARE 1

/* LED is PA5 */
   #define LED_BANK         GPIOA
   #define LED_PIN              5
   #define LED_ON_STATE    1

/* BUTTON is PC9 */
   #define BUTTON_BANK      GPIOC
   #define BUTTON_PIN           9
   #define BUTTON_PRESSED_STATE 1

/* USB Disc Pin Setup.   USB DISC is PC12 */
   #define USB_DISC_BANK         GPIOC
   #define USB_DISC_PIN              12

Roger, while you're building updated bootloaders, would you mind adding a custom bootloader for me? This design is a bit similar to Mapple, with the following configuration:

Code: Select all

#elif defined TARGET_GENERIC_F103_PB4

// Flag that this type of board has the custom maple disconnect hardware
   #define HAS_MAPLE_HARDWARE 1

/* LED is PB4 */
   #define LED_BANK         GPIOB
   #define LED_PIN              4
   #define LED_ON_STATE    1

/* BUTTON is PB3 */
   #define BUTTON_BANK      GPIOB
   #define BUTTON_PIN           3
   #define BUTTON_PRESSED_STATE 0

/* USB Disc Pin Setup.   USB DISC is PB15 */
   #define USB_DISC_BANK         GPIOB
   #define USB_DISC_PIN 15

Thanks! :)

[1] https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 1/config.h
[2] https://github.com/leaflabs/maple/blob/ ... ematic.pdf

Rick Kimball

Re: wrong configuration in Mapple bootloaders maple_revX_boot20.bin ?

Postby Rick Kimball » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm

nita wrote:Roger, while you're building updated bootloaders, would you mind adding a custom bootloader for me? ...

... man like Roger doesn't have enough to do ...

If you want this code and binary you should fork the github source, create a new branch, make your changes. Then test it on all 3 Operating system versions. Then try it with all the various versions of those OSes, make sure it works on Windows 7/ Windows 10, OSX Mountain Lion, Maverick, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, the latest and previous versions of Ubuntu, Debian, Centos, RedHat, ... the list goes on infinitely.

Imagine he did this request for you, what happens when it doesn't work for someone? He is going to be "the go to guy" for getting it fixed.

You realize Roger isn't your personal slave right? No one is getting paid here. Why don't you take on this change and lighten his load? And then answer all the questions when there are problems.

pfft!

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:05 pm

istr instructions on adding a new stanza are on the wiki, failing that clone or zip the bootloader from github, look for the file listing the current set of recipes, copy a set similar/close to yours and modify. led drive line, led drive state and button state may or maybe not need inverting.
stephen

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 pm

nita wrote:Roger, while you're building updated bootloaders, would you mind adding a custom bootloader for me? This design is a bit similar to Mapple, with the following configuration:

The procedure for changes, is to submit a Pull request via GitHub, complete with compiled binaries.

If the change is to more than one isolated section, - which in your case it is.The change to the 2 sections should be via separate commits so they can be clearly distinguished.

Modifications to existing code sections are often pulled to a separate branch, so they don't impact existing users for whom the code is already working fine.

nita

Postby nita » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi,

I just found this project a couple of days ago and I already contributed a detailed fix to what I believe is a bug in source code.

I'm trying to help the project, so I don't understand the hostility here...

Roger, I addressed my polite request to you, as you have committed the latest bootloader changes to Git, and I assumed you'll be the person to fix the Mapple bootloader. I would really appreciate it, if you find the time to add yet another bootloader variant. In any case, thank you very much for all the work you have done for this intriguing project!

I assumed it would be a simple task for an experienced person to add support to my HW, as it is almost identical to Mapple. Only a couple of I/O pins are different and I already wrote the configuration ready for them. But as the Arduino is all new to me, I may be wrong.

I was hoping I could start my Arduino adventure by learning how to blink the LED on my board, instead of learning how to compile the bootloader...

Give and receive, isn't that what open source is all about..? :-)

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:46 am

nita wrote:I was hoping I could start my Arduino adventure by learning how to blink the LED on my board, instead of learning how to compile the bootloader...

If you just want to blink an led, you might be better off picking a supported board like a maple mini. The maple mini is the best supported and has the most likely path to success. If this is your first walk down the arduino path, you are picking the wrong platform. This isn't a commercial venture. No one is getting paid to save you the cost of a buying a real arduino. A real arduino comes with a staff of people getting paid to support you and answer your questions.

I see too many people showing up at our site wanting to fly before they crawl. Often, they ask for the world and then disappear. Keep in mind, each board we add, adds a support burden. It becomes another thing to test or fix when changes are made. I'm of the mind that if you want to use a one off unsupported board, then you should be willing to go do all the hard work to get it going and then come here and provide a push request, that works with Windows/Mac and Linux and has been thoroughly tested before you bother Roger with a Pull Request. If you aren't willing to put that level of effort in, you should just buy an already supported board.

The hostility is coming from me not Roger. Roger is usually too kind to refuse people.

-rick

nita

Postby nita » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Seems like Roger replied to me while I was still writing my last message… Nice to get friendly answers as well. ;-)

Although I just started learning Arduino, I’m not newbie with embedded systems. I wish to use this particular HW, because it has certain peripherals onboard that I wish to use. So I’ll compile a custom bootloader to my board.

I apologize this got off-topic, so let’s get back to business.

Please compare TARGET_MAPLE_REV3 and TARGET_MAPLE_REV5 in config.h with the schematics. I believe the pins for these targets are configured wrong. See the first half of my first message. If the bootloader binaries in Git are compiled against this config.h, the Mapple boards v3 and v5 will not work correctly. User paksoft is most likely affected by this bug [1].

TARGET_MAPLE_MINI seems to have correct pin configuration.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1008

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 am

nita wrote:Please compare TARGET_MAPLE_REV3 and TARGET_MAPLE_REV5 in config.h with the schematics. I believe the pins for these targets are configured wrong. See the first half of my first message. If the bootloader binaries in Git are compiled against this config.h, the Mapple boards v3 and v5 will not work correctly. User paksoft is most likely affected by this bug [1].

TARGET_MAPLE_MINI seems to have correct pin configuration.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1008

The best approach to getting this problem solved is to create an issue on github:

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... M32/issues

Creating an issue allows problems to be tracked and the code associated with the fix can be created as a pull request. People with problems should look at the open issues to see if others are also having a problem. Before creating a new one or asking questions on the forum, they might see if the problem is being addressed.

If you want to contribute, your first step should be to fork the repository after you have created a new issue laying out the problem. Clone the github repository and create a new branch called 'issue_nnn' where nnn is the issue number you created. Make your changes, test and iterate until it works properly. You could then create a pull request with the changed code. You might just add a comment on the issue itself and give a link to your github branch where you fixed it. I don't have a maple rev5 board but maybe other do. You might get them to try it out also before considering your work done.

We are looking for people to contribute. It is best to do this as much as you can without making Roger the critical path.

-rick

Return to “Maple Bootloader”