Custom Board

What could be included in further releases, or for the forum.
gc9n

Custom Board

Post by gc9n » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello i would like to ask a question about this STM32 based board.

id like to make a custom board and use a stm32f103 cpu and also add a direct micro USB connection , is there anyway to make it work directly in arduino IDE with the usb , and without FTDI USB to serial converters?

mrburnette

Re: Custom Board

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:26 pm

gc9n wrote:Hello i would like to ask a question about this STM32 based board.

id like to make a custom board and use a stm32f103 cpu and also add a direct micro USB connection , is there anyway to make it work directly in arduino IDE with the usb , and without FTDI USB to serial converters?

Have you considered getting your feet wet first? Look at the de facto standard Maple Mini board from about $4 to any of the other breakout boards for around the $2 mark. You cannot build a board for this price unless you are going to the 100+ range.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... c8t6+board

directUSB is a feature of the Maple Mini.
All STM32F103xx uC chips can be serially programmed, 3.3V TTL serial.
You can also program via the STLink.

More in the WiKi

gc9n

Post by gc9n » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes i consider that , i just trying to figure out if it can be done , in order to start development.
the units i am considering will be more than 500 so the cost will drop

The project i have in mind needs a good processor , its running now in arduino 328p so i need more powerful processor, basically i need more pins and more memory because the sketch its getting bigger.

BenjiHansell

Post by BenjiHansell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm

basically if you follow the Maple Mini schematic you can't go wrong (well you can, PCBs always go wrong)
to simplify things you may choose to ditch the dual power supply (the Baite clones do this) and ditch the USB reset circuitry (everything except the 1.5k pullup, the 2* 22 ohm series resistors and the 47 pF capacitors)
most boards ditch the reset circuitry and still upload over USB using the new "generic" STM32duino bootloader
much of this information (e.g. schematic) is available on the wiki
http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Maple_Mini

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 am

gc9n wrote:Yes i consider that , i just trying to figure out if it can be done , in order to start development.
the units i am considering will be more than 500 so the cost will drop
A quick read:
http://jeelabs.org/book/1518a/
... its running now in arduino 328p so i need more powerful processor
The STM32F103 is a good, inexpensive choice. But STM32duino core is not 100% Arduino UNO compatible, so do your homework on a breadboard ... Then a prototype board. When you make the transition to 32-bit it is like moving from a 1 room apartment into a big, roomy house: for a while, then clutter starts :o

Ray

Nutsy

Post by Nutsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Lol, yep the clutter starts.... Loved that analogy made me giggle :D

my speedo projects over 2000 lines long now... clutter is... well cluttery :D

I spend nearly as much time refining and cleaning up code as writing new stuff...