RGB lightsaber

What are you developing?
racemaniac

Re: RGB lightsaber

Post by racemaniac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 am

currently both will be a bit underwhelming XD.
the current source code is just setting up everything and doing basic tests (playing some music, using the motion sensor to light the led when the board moves, doing a test pattern on a few leds). This is enough to know it all works, but not much of a program yet.
and the only video i have is thus the board playing the starwars soundtrack :). Nice to know it works, but not much to show yet.

v4 of the boards just shipped, i hope that will be the final revision, i think it's compatible with the v3's, and once they arrive, i'll assemble a few, and start building a real lightsaber and some proper software to drive these boards XD.
and atm this project is more about learning how to make pcb's & how to solder them than it is about lightsabers XD. but the end of that tunnel is finally approaching, and then i can put all my attention again on making it a nice lightsaber XD.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 am

Slightly offtopic, what's the max speed at which you overclocked the i2c interface?
I was just testing and I can go up to 1.3Mhz. Over that either it slows down, or directly stops working.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 am

victor_pv wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 am
Slightly offtopic, what's the max speed at which you overclocked the i2c interface?
I was just testing and I can go up to 1.3Mhz. Over that either it slows down, or directly stops working.
i got up to 1.2Mhz, and then it stopped working for me (not sure if the stm32 or the DAC was the issue)

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Similar results with the DAC then. I am using a FRAM that's supposed to work up to 1Mhz in specs, that's mostly why I wanted to test overclocking, then decided not to stop at 1Ghz and keep pushing up.
I suspect the limit is the MCU since we both hit it at around the same speed.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 am

At that speed the pull-ups should be less then 1k...

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:06 pm

After a long wait (~5 weeks? damn you postal services), the next iteration of my lightsaber boards finally arrived :)
looking forward to assembling a few of these, and have a look at how well they work :). I hope these well be my final revision for a while (but as you may have seen in the other thread, i'm now trying to make the next bluepill :) ).

besides the lightsaber boards, the panel also contains 2 small boards which are very minimal stm32f103c8t6 boards (just the stm32, with decoupling caps, a resistor to pull boot0 down, and a button on the pcb, and the pins that i was interested in broken out). It's made so that it can be connected to the main lightsaber boards, and have them communicate via SPI. not sure if i'll need it, but it's not much work to make.
and besides that some small boards for putting decoupling caps on the neopixel power supply cables, and some adapters for ams1117 -> ap2112k. i like the maple mini, but the ams has to go :p. so i made some adapter boards, now i should be able to replace it by an ap2112k, which seems to be much better up to the task :).
pcbv4.jpg
pcbv4.jpg (179.09 KiB) Viewed 95 times

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:08 pm

found some time to assemble the above boards :)
looking pretty good :). when doing a full test however i had to put an extra capacitor on the 3v3 rail since the sd card managed to pull enough current to restart the stm32 >_<
besides that, everything seems to be working (i still have to test usb, but sd card, sound, motion sensor, ... are all ok).

still really happy with the ability to cut my own stencils using a silhouette portrait cutter :). and the loctite solder paste is great :).
applying the solder past stencils is still a delicate job, but when i carefully do it, and i get a really clean result, it's awesome to see (ans also nice to see even the QFN chips solder nicely without shorts then ) ).

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Well done!

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 pm

zoomx wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm
Well done!
now back to improving my software for the board :)
did some test in mixing multiple soundchannels, and it was a bit slow. So now rewriting that part (now working with the i2s in a circular dma loop, and using the xfer half complete & xfer complete interrupts to fill in parts of the buffer, so i can do it in larger (and hopefully more efficient chunks), not sample per sample as i was doing now :).
i was already able to mix 2 48khz channels together, a 3rd channel was too much ^^'.
i'm also considering making a "dev" board of this: a larger version, with all interesting points to measure easily reachable. then when working on it, i can hook up a logic analyzer to the digital signals i want to investigate, hook up a oscilloscope to check the analog parts, etc... :). it's sometimes annoying when working on it that i can't easily measure all those things ^^'. on such a small board, nothing is easily reachable >_<.