STM32L4 Core

Cores are the underlying magic that make the Arduino API possible
gato_

Re: STM32L4 Core

Post by gato_ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 am

Well, learnt how to debug properly with opencd and dbg :). I'm posting what I've found out so far.
First, I had to deactivate clock stretching, as the incomplete transaction was hanging the system. the executed code is this one:

Code: Select all

#include <Wire.h>
const int N=6;
byte buffer[N];
void setup() {
  for (int i=0;i<N;i++){buffer[i]=i+1;};
  Wire.begin();
  Wire1.begin(3);
  Wire1.onRequest(requestEvent); // register event
  Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop() {
  ////////request
  Wire.requestFrom(3, N);
  for (int i=0;i<N;i++) {
    uint8_t c = Wire.read();
    Serial.print(c,HEX);Serial.print(" ");
  }
  Serial.println();
  delay(500);  
}
void requestEvent() {
  int s=Wire1.write(buffer,N); // respond with message of 6 bytes
}
Notice that I am using the same board, with Wire as master and Wire1 as slave. Slave is meant to respond with 6 bytes (1..6), but what is shown after the first iteration is 1 FF FF FF FF FF, meaning only one byte is transfered.
The following (sorry, handmade) diagrams reflect the analysis performed with gdb
Left side explains what is shown, what breakpoints have been set and what variables are watched. Right side shows the contents of the registers on each step.

First impressions:

-Why is events initialized with ADDRESS_NACK, DATA_NACK,...?
-Why is events not changing on ANY of the steps?
-Slave's ISR contains an overrun condition from the begining. This is going to trigger an error on step 7 (Why not before?)

So, after startup (step 0), the cycle 1..7 is being repeated. What can be seen is no problem arises from the slave's transmit data being unavailable, but rather, the transmision of data is abandoned after the first byte. An overrun error is triggered then, but I'm not sure that is the cause.
Last edited by gato_ on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

gato_

Post by gato_ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am

Nope. Cleared manually slave's flags OVR, NACKF and STOPF. The error_interrupt routine keeps executing, but there is no error catched. And still, the result is the same. So it must be the logic telling when to stop transmitting. I'll check that

aonsquared

Post by aonsquared » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 am

Hi gato_,

Could you share how you turned your sketch into an eclipse project with openocd debugging? I'm using this core too.

regards,
Arthur

gato_

Post by gato_ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 am

I didn't. I used openOCD+GDB with the elf file

GrumpyOldPizza

Post by GrumpyOldPizza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 pm

gato_ wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 am
Well, learnt how to debug properly with opencd and dbg :). I'm posting what I've found out so far.
First, I had to deactivate clock stretching, as the incomplete transaction was hanging the system. the executed code is this one:
Clock stretching is needed. Otherwise the Wire1.onRequest() callback has no time to put in data.

Code: Select all

#include <Wire.h>
const int N=6;
byte buffer[N];
void setup() {
  for (int i=0;i<N;i++){buffer[i]=i+1;};
  Wire.begin();
  Wire1.begin(3);
  Wire1.onRequest(requestEvent); // register event
  Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop() {
  ////////request
  Wire.requestFrom(3, N);
  for (int i=0;i<N;i++) {
    uint8_t c = Wire.read();
    Serial.print(c,HEX);Serial.print(" ");
  }
  Serial.println();
  delay(500);  
}
void requestEvent() {
  int s=Wire1.write(buffer,N); // respond with message of 6 bytes
}
I'll take a peek at that code. It's not any different to what I used to check out the code, except that I used a string ("the quick brown fox ...")

The only thing suspicious is the I2C address. The standard reserves the first few addresses (and the last). You can only use 8-239. Perhaps this is confusing the I2C slave peripheral.
First impressions:

-Why is events initialized with ADDRESS_NACK, DATA_NACK,...?
-Why is events not changing on ANY of the steps?
In the STM32L0 system layer "i2c->events" is used a as mask to filter events that you callback wants to see. Kind of rendundant. Dropped for STM32L0.
-Slave's ISR contains an overrun condition from the begining. This is going to trigger an error on step 7 (Why not before?)
That's because you disabled clock stretching.