Portenta H7

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
ag123
Answers: 24

Portenta H7

Post by ag123 »

Portenta H7 is now on the store
https://store.arduino.cc/usa/portenta-h7
just kind of pricey somewhat

but packed with quite a some stuff
STM32H747 dual-core processor with graphics engine
8MB SDRAM
16MB NOR Flash
10/100 Ethernet Phy
USB HS
NXP SE050C2 Crypto
WiFi/BT Module
External Antenna
DisplayPort over USB-C

this can probably run a full blown PDA or mobile style OS
it has high speed usb, it is a plus as compared to the full speed ones for the 'lower' devices
ag123

Re: Portenta H7

Post by ag123 »

it is rather interesting quite a few stm32h7 boards are showing on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... xt=stm32h7
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

madias
Answers: 1

Post by madias »

€89.90
tax not included

sorry Arduino(CC) - play with yourself for such prices, there is NO sense buying this for that price.
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

ag123 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm ...this can probably run a full blown PDA or mobile style OS
it has high speed usb, it is a plus as compared to the full speed ones for the 'lower' devices
Very interesting. Some (all) will likely be sold to folks that can voucher the expense back to their business. This is the kind of thing you would use for prototyping efforts but the final vision has not congealed ... gives you lots of possibilities if you are intent on not designing around Linux SBC's.

Here in my basement, I would be inclined to consider the options below:
- Raspberry Pi / or similar
- Refurb Android cellphone
- Refurb Android tablet

Makers often forget about the low entry price for refurbished cellphones, tablets, and even low-end notebooks. xda-developers have a remarkable selection of firmware, many giving you a Linux-like console. MIT APP-Inventor can get you into Android quickly.

I draw the line at buying "maybe" toys at the $100 U.S.D. mark ... when getting into the serious money area one should have a firm belief that the hardware being purchased solves/provision the total requirements. This does not preclude using multiples of the same board, but each sub-module should be utilized to 70% - 80% of capacity.

In summary: One should not purchase the Portenta H7 for blinking leds.
Just4Fun
Answers: 1

Post by Just4Fun »

I've "some" STM32H750VBT6 laying "around" (3.42$ each on Aliexpress + shipping) waiting to be used. Not exactly the same (no dual core) but enough "power" inside if you want play with these H7.

Probably I'll make a board may be adding something else when I've the time... just curious to play with it...

Currently I'm too "busy" making another (useless as usual) board with a 68008... :lol:

mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

That is a nice 68008 board for prototyping and the on-breadboard labeling is great. I suspect it takes a bit of time to work up to the designing point.

I just cannot bring myself to being so polished. Maybe I am so old that I fear the next-revision circuit board will not arrive before I die! Anyway, I have been known to seriously use the chip top for more than labels:

16MHz "traditional 16MHz crystal" UNO clone

Want to save the 2 load caps?

8MHz "naked RC 8MHz internal osc." UNO clone

https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/flat-d ... -ii-0a0ba0

Ray
ag123

Post by ag123 »

mrburnette wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:40 am
ag123 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm ...this can probably run a full blown PDA or mobile style OS
Very interesting. Some (all) will likely be sold to folks that can voucher the expense back to their business. This is the kind of thing you would use for prototyping efforts but the final vision has not congealed ... gives you lots of possibilities if you are intent on not designing around Linux SBC's.

Here in my basement, I would be inclined to consider the options below:
- Raspberry Pi / or similar
- Refurb Android cellphone
- Refurb Android tablet

Makers often forget about the low entry price for refurbished cellphones, tablets, and even low-end notebooks. xda-developers have a remarkable selection of firmware, many giving you a Linux-like console. MIT APP-Inventor can get you into Android quickly.

I draw the line at buying "maybe" toys at the $100 U.S.D. mark ... when getting into the serious money area one should have a firm belief that the hardware being purchased solves/provision the total requirements. This does not preclude using multiples of the same board, but each sub-module should be utilized to 70% - 80% of capacity.

In summary: One should not purchase the Portenta H7 for blinking leds.
off-topic:
i'd imagine something like this can run that old 'windows CE' type of OS like the old IPaqs digital organizer and PDAs. so if you'd like it isn't 'expensive' if compared with those, but then an IPaq includes a good screen and other pheriperials plus that injection molded case.
either way with 3d printing today, it is quite possible to 'make an IPaq', if that is the goal, using a Portenta H7 would look quite feasible.
In fact, it is an IPaq with fast adc, dac, lots of comms spi, uart, i2c, etc plus lots of timers. so it is an 'IPaq' with a difference !

of course today, most people i'd guess'd prefer simply using the Cortex A series with the MMU, e.g. Rpi, STM32MP1 etc.
that makes life much easier and a full blown linux can be installed on it.

in a sign of times, i think the Rpi 4 is close to doing the same mflops performance of a laptop low power Intel I3 cpu.
even at the servers end, Arm is getting into the high core counts end.

i think 'Windows CE' isn't killed by 'iPhone' nor 'Android', it is killed by the 'App store' and 'mobile web browser'. and bigger screens and a little late to catch on to the Cortex A evolution. And partially due to the mobile phone makers jumping on the 'Android' bandwagon.
the earlier 'Androids' used to be deemed a 'slow and heavy' os, until the much better hardware came about

mcus like stm32 may evolve towards that 'generic usb device' evolution

Return to “General discussion”